Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Made It! App Review Rubric for Kid Critics

                               Time for 4th Grade Frolic's Monday Made it.
Last week Brandee created a Rubric for scoring iMovie Trailers (which I think is just a great idea) and it made me think a little bit about what I want my students to do with technology when it's in their hands.  So I made a simple one-sheet Student App Review Rubric.
There are 5 sections and each can be graded 0-4, so an app could score 20 points, which would be a perfect score.  And no, Candy Crush does not get a perfect score.  


 I want my students to understand and analyze apps they use and figure out what works, what doesn't, then share their findings.  This fits both in Bloom's Tax. and CCSS while creating authentic learning opportunities for these students because they'd be sharing results with others.  I didn't want to create rubrics that would be too difficult for kids to understand either, which was a concern as I started this.  Honestly, I looked around the web to see what categories/interests would best fit a student reviewer and tailored this rubric from the fabric others (oooh, fancy writin').

You can actually get a copy here (Google Docs) or you can jump over to my TPT store and download a free version there.  I'm genuinely excited about this because it just adds to student's depths of understanding then sharing their findings.

Now I realize this will be a learning process at the beginning, but I think over time this could become second nature for students.  Also (and ideally) the rubric is just the starting point.  Eventually kids would take the rubrics and turn them into written reviews (blog, paper, etc.), but that is further down the line.

If you've got other ideas, links about this, or improvements: I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM.


NEXT
My wife did a little Goodwill shopping and found an old beat-up end table.  
I was promptly asked to reMAKE it so I gave it a 
coat of red and a layer or antiquing/aging oil.
This is the finished product.  
I know you can't see the whole thing, but notice the antiquing stripes?
A little This Old House thing is going on... 

NEXT
I spent a little time redoing character trait maps that I use and turnied them into foldables.  Given the chance my students will take cutting, gluing, and writing over simple worksheets.  And that is fine with me.

And Finally:
I made a collection of TASK CARD Templates that will fit 8.5x11 paper (portrait and landscape).  There are over 40 different png files that all vary in color.  Plus the templates can be for 2, 3, 4, or 6 cards in a page.


That's it.  Time to start another week of making!
Who am I kidding...
Time to Start Getting Ready For a Real Vacation!


9 comments:

  1. I love the student app rubric! I'm definitely going to use that with students this year. Thanks for sharing.

    I think your end table came out great too.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I love the app rubric. Thanks for sharing that. We use rubrics for every skill set in each subject. It just makes sense to use one for apps with technology. Great idea.

    Also, I didn't know you were a runner. Good luck in Chicago! I did NYC a few years ago and it was awesome!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool rubric - if I had tablets I'd use it for sure:)

    I love how the end table turned out.
    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, love the app rubric! I have a list of apps that I need to add to my ipad, but I think I might just wait and let the kids do it and then let them use the rubric and write about them. You ROCK!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the rubric. I will definitely be using that this year.

    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the app rubric! It's a great idea! Have a great vacation!
    Teaching 3rd with Mr G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the rubric and the shout out Matt! You rock! :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, thanks for coming over to my blog and leaving a comment because, of course, that made me come over HERE to find the fabulous goodies you have here. (Although I might like you a little less since you don't like frogs. *sigh*)

    LOVE the app rubric. Love, love, LOVE it! I can't wait to use it with my 3rd graders this year!

    Also I have wishlisted your other items because I have too many things on my "back-to-school" to do list to buy them yet but I will...and I can't wait to use the task card templates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    I would like to reproduce your rubric in a student workbook on App Creation. I have included credit to your blog post. I will share the resource with you once I have finalized it.
    Thanks for the share.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...